Objectives of the Climate Centre
- Enhance scientific knowledge of the South on climate change for appropriate climate action and advocacy;
- Assess impacts of environmental and climatic variability on livelihoods and economic development;
- Combat climate change through mitigation and adaptation for sustainable growth and development;
- Improve societal knowledge and capacity building on climate change and environmental issues;
- Develop knowledge bank of information and data to inform better evidence based policy making;
- Promote regional and global partnerships to take effective action for climate and sustainability.
Working Groups of the Centre
Under the CCCS working groups will adopt a trans-disciplinary approach to key drivers of climate-sustainability nexus.
- Working Group on “Climate Research and Impact Assessment” will focus on collaborative research on climate and ecosystem required to combat climate change and to attain SDGs.
- Working Group on “Mitigation Action” will undertake mitigation activities within the framework of Paris Agreement and SDGs.
- Working Group on “Climate Change Adaptation” will focus on adaptation planning and build climate resilience of vulnerable communities based on climate impact assessments.
- Working group on “Science, Technology and Innovation (STI)” will conduct sector-wise evaluations of technological needs of developing countries and ensure promoting appropriate application of technological development and transfer.
- Working Group “Climate Governance and Policy Planning” will focus on integrating climate and environmental considerations into development sectors like energy, industry, agriculture and transport and advocacy of climate change mitigation and adaptation in context of science-based evidence.
- Working group on “Climate Finance” will assess financial requirements of climate change mitigation, adaptation and seek funding from international financing mechanisms for implementation of planned activities.
- Working Group on “Knowledge Management and Capacity Building” will emphasize on knowledge management, knowledge sharing, good practices and capacity building.
- Working Group on “Communication and Awareness” will focus on advocacy and awareness-raising to improve understanding of climate change and its risks in promoting sustainable development.
- Working group on “Collaborative Partnerships‟ will promote cross-sectoral partnerships at national, regional and global level to strengthen efforts in promoting climate action and achieving sustainable development.